The other day my Mum asked me how I felt about my birthday coming up, as if she was expecting me to be distressed about turning another year older. Truth is I’m pretty excited about turning another year older and wiser. And I’m also very happy not to be young and stupid.
Seriously though, birthdays are a good time to reflect on the year that has passed. Taking the time to remember the good, the bad and the ugly. And especially for me, the planner, I love to review my annual goals and redirect them if need be (total geek!). I genuinely look forward to my birthday for this reason and of course the presents! Although I do believe I should be showered with gifts every day not just my birthday, but I digress…
So as I reflect on the year I have to tell you something- what a long fucking year this has been. I feel like I should be turning 42 not 37!
Seriously a lot has happened since I turned 36 and some of what happened I have probably forgotten. Nonetheless, the events that stand out the most at the moment I type up this post are (in no particular order):
· finally quitting smoking after almost 20 years
· having my depression relapse
· completing 6 races, two of which were half marathons
· finding out I was chronically dehydrated and had low iron levels
· falling in love, having my heart broken and falling out of love
· getting myself a run coach
· buying a stupid amount of running shoes
· having over 600 people follow me on twitter
· becoming a run leader
· brining in more awesome people into the friend circle.
Yeah a lot of stuff happened and although some of it was painful (really painful) a lot of it was really awesome too. And as I sit and reflect on the VERY LONG year that has passed I have to say I’m feeling pretty happy about it and am looking forward to 37.
And now I’m off for a run – the best way to celebrate anything truly wonderful, like me :)